You are here: Home / Protect Your Home

fire-damage-smoke-soot-clean-up-picSteps To  Protect Your Home From A Potential Fire

Home fires cause injuries and even death to many people in and around Vancouver WA each year. Most of these fires result from not paying attention to situations in the house. It is important to note that most of these fires can be prevented and would thus save lives and preventing damage to your property and possible the neighbors property. It is therefore important that every member of the house learns basic fire prevention methods. These measures are not complicated but you are required to be careful and cautious every time you are in the house. The following are some useful steps on how to protect your home from a fire.

Observe Kitchen Safety: Most of the fires in the house will begin at the kitchen and it is therefore important to ensure that you are extra vigilant whenever you are using fire in the kitchen. When ever there is an open fire it is best to remain in the kitchen to ensure that you keep an eye on everything that is happening. Ensure that a fire extinguisher is within your reach when you are in the kitchen. Do not wear loose fitting cloths while cooking and also make sure that you roll up your sleeves while doing the same. Also make sure that there are no plastic bags, paper, towel or anything else that can catch fire close to the stove or burners while it's in use.

Carefully Control Flammable Items: Anything that can start a fire for example lighters, flammable liquids and matches should be kept at a place where they cannot be accessed by children. Preferably, these items should be kept in a locked cabinet. Flammable materials should also be kept far away from a source of heat. Often paper and kindling is needed to start a fire, but put them away or at a safe distance when they are no longer needed.

Take Precautions On Fireplaces: Fireplaces should be built in such a way that things cannot fall into them or from them like off the mantel. This can be achieved by placing a fire safe grate or mesh grill over the fireplace or in front of the fireplace. Paper materials and other flammable materials should not be kept at a place where they can accidentally fall on the fireplaces. Also ensure that you regularly have the flue or chimney cleaned to remove creosote on a regular basis. If creosote is allowed to accumulate over time, it can easily result in a chimney fire which could damage the whole house. If you smoke in the house, always you use an ashtray and do not smoke in bed. Do not leave lit cigarette on the table or in a any other surface as it can easily roll off or fall out of an ashtray as it burns which could also result in a fire. If you are smoking while outside the house, avoid the temptation to drop a lit cigarette on the grass or a on a bush but the butts in a fire safe container.

Take Care Of Your Electrical Appliances: Faulty electric appliances are also a major cause of electric fires. These pieces of kitchen equipments are powered by electricity and may range from your fridges, electrical heaters, air conditioners, television sets, radios, microwaves and so on. Do not overload the house wiring with too many appliances  and that there are no broken plugs or frayed cords. We must be careful that we do not overload power outlets by using much electric equipment at the same time on an extension cord. If there are power outlets that are not in use, cover them to prevent children from trying to insert items on them with outlet covers which can be found at most hardware stores. Above all, make sure that every member of the household knows the steps that should be taken in the event of a fire outbreak for example how to use a fire extinguisher, the escape routes and the outside meeting point.

The Number One Cause Of Household Fires: Clogged dryer vents are the number one cause of household fires. the lint and debrits builds up until it clogs the dryer vent, as heat builds up in the vent pipe until the clog of lint and fabric particles catches fire and this can burn a house down if it is not put out quickly. Some insurance companies require the vents to be cleaned at least once a year in 2308 Richards Street Vancouver WA .

If you have had a fire or smoke damage emergency and need immediate help to get your home or business back to normal please call call at anytime, we work 24 hours a day 7 days a week Water Damage Restoration of Vancouver 800-713-1932 Vancouver WA


Page Tags: Fire Prevention Vancouver WA | Fire Safety Vancouver WA
Water & Flood Damage
24 Hour Service
  • We Bill Your Insurance
  • Hassle Free Claims Process
  • Immediate 24/7 Response
  • Fire Smoke Soot Clean Up
  • Emergency Board Up Service
  • Mold & Mildew Removal
  • 24 Hour Water Removal
  • Water Storm & Wind Repairs
Water Damage Emergency

The shock when one returns to a home or business to find that a water line has broken or a pipe has burst sending water through out the building. The interesting thing about water damage is that if it is removed immediately from the floors, walls and ceilings and dried out with specialized drying and de-humidifiers the damage can be greatly reduced.

Fire Smoke Damage
water-damage-removal-pic
Follow 24 Hour Restoration